Saigon Itinerary TipsJanuary 03, 2024
Ho Chi Minh City, commonly known as Saigon, is a vibrant and dynamic city with a rich history and culture. Depending on the time one spends in the city, each might have a different experience of Saigon. Firstly, below is the list of tourist spots you can visit by yourself:
- Notre Dame Cathedral & Central Post Office
- Reunification (Independent) Palace
- Saigon Botanic garden (the zoo)
- Bitexco Tower
- War Remnants museum
- Ben Thanh market
- Nguyen Hue walking boulevard / City hall
- Opera house
- Tan Dinh market & Tan Dinh church (Pink Church)
- Tao Dan park
- Cu Chi Tunnels (1 day tour)
- Mekong Delta (1 or 2 days tour)
Now with those spots, you can research them, choose your favorite spots, and put them all together to make the best of your time in Saigon. We also come up with some suggested itineraries for 1, 2 and 3 days to help you make the most of your time in Saigon.
1 DAY ITINERARY
- Start your day with a hearty Pho breakfast: Try the world famous pho to get a taste of authentic Vietnamese flavors.
- War Remnants Museum: Head to the War Remnants Museum to learn about Vietnam's history, particularly the Vietnam War. It's a powerful and moving experience with exhibits and artifacts that provide insight into the country's struggles.
- Visit Ben Thanh Market & have lunch there: Explore Ben Thanh Market and have lunch at one of the local stalls inside. The market is an icon of the city and you can also try a variety of Vietnamese street food. Pro tip: DON’T shop there. And if you really want to buy something there, start haggling at 70% and just walk away if they don’t agree with your price.
- Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica of Saigon and Central Post Office: Visit the iconic Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica of Saigon and the adjacent Central Post Office. Marvel at the French colonial architecture and take some time to explore the interior of these historic landmarks.
- Bitexco Financial Tower Sky Deck: Head to the Bitexco Financial Tower and take an elevator up to the Sky Deck for panoramic views of the city. It's a great way to see Saigon from above and capture some memorable photos.
- Dinner in District 1: Besides Pho, Vietnam has many other noodle dishes that may taste even better. Don’t believe us, check out My Quang, a tasty noodle dish from the central region of Vietnam that will leave you in awe.
- Relax at a bar: Wrap up your day by relaxing at one of Saigon's rooftop bars, You can check out our recommended list of bars HERE. Enjoy the city lights and unwind with a drink before calling it a night.
2 DAYS ITINERARY
Day 1: Exploring the City By Yourself - You can apply the same itinerary from the “1 DAY ITINERARY” or you can book a 1-day tour to either Cu Chi Tunnels or the Mekong Delta.
Day 2: Adventure On a Vintage Vespa
- Hop on a vintage vespa to explore the hidden, non-touristy spots of Saigon, learn about the culture, major historical events & the true way of Saigon’s life with our Saigon’s Secrets Tour. You’ll also get to taste delicious local food and drinks on our tour
- Take a good rest, don’t have a big lunch, or better yet, keep your stomach empty for a coming feast waiting for you.
- Back on a vespa again but this time with our Dining Delights Tour. 4 food stops in 5 different districts with over 10 dishes for you to enjoy, it will be a feast of tasty street BBQ and seafood goodness while you’ll get to see different sides of Saigon at night as well.
3 DAYS ITINERARY
Day 1: Exploring the City By Yourself - You can apply the same itinerary from the “1 DAY ITINERARY”
Day 2: Adventure On a Vintage Vespa - See the hidden corners, non-touristy spots of Saigon on our vintage vespas and eat and drink like a true Saigonese.
Day 3: The Surroundings - Take a one-day tour to visit the Cu Chi Tunnels or the Mekong Delta.
So that’s our suggested spots to visit as well as the itineraries for your time in the city. Remember to adapt the itinerary based on your preferences and the specific attractions or activities that interest you. Enjoy your time in Saigon!